Sunday, August 3, 2014

Buried Makeup Treasures- August

It is more comment than not that we tend to buy multiples of one item and then forget the once beloved past purchase.

I had mentioned in My July Monthly Favorites + Tutorial video about starting a series of forgotten makeup items. Many of my subscribers liked the idea so I thought I would go ahead a try it out for August.
don't forget to watch my monthly favorites if you missed it!

We are all guilty of being a little bit of a pack rat or hoarder on some level. Being a beauty blogger/ vlogger, my hoarding tendencies get a little out of control when it comes to makeup.

I am constantly giving bags of gently used beauty products to my close friends and family to feel less guilty, however this doesn't solve the problem. My husband, bless his patient heart constantly sits with me and helps me decide which red lipstick to keep and which to send off to a better home.

Even with all the purging, there are just some pieces in my collection I will never be able to part with till I've used it up or it's gone bad.

This month I've selected 4 items that I once loved and have since forgotten about. Two items were purchased with much thought and debate back in my earlier vlogging days before I spent as much money as I do now on makeup. Can you guess which ones?


This was the first naked palette I ever purchased, in fact come to think of it it is the first Urban Decay eyeshadow purchase I had ever made, no wonder I have such attachment to this beauty. 

I remember using this everyday and being so in love with the golden warm shades. Sadly with the over flow of new palettes and always testing out the next new shadow that cosmetic companies keep churning out,  I have not reached for this in probably almost 6 months if not more. 

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light
Honestly I don't know why I never returned this one. This was such a splurge product and a definite youtube made me do it item. I remember seeing these in store and not really knowing what it did. I get the idea is to give a dim light look when applied to the highlight areas of the face, but I just don't see anything really when I use this one. This is probably why I shoved this in the back of my collection and have barely used it. I know folks rave about this item, but for whatever reason I'm not getting it. Let's see how I feel after a full month.

Jouer SPF Bronzer in Perfect Tan
Now this is definitely a much loved product, I've even hit pan. The reason I think I stopped using it was that Jouer discontinued this bronzer and I was very sad about it and either I'm subconsciously not wanting to use it all up in case I want it or I stopped using it because why use a product that my readers/ viewers can no longer buy. Either way it's time to live it up and finish this baby off!

L'oreal Voluminous Mascara in Violet
This was a limited edition shade for the original and much loved mascara I believe. I tried it once and never picked it up again, so I thought I'd try and use this up a bit before it goes bad and gets all sorts of gross bacteria.




The idea of this series is to leave these 4 items out on my vanity and with a conscious effort use it as much as possible for a full month. At the end of the month I'll check back in and see if my feelings about the products have changed. Will I part with them or keep them in my collection?


What are your thoughts on this series? Do you have too much of something where you forget to use it? What are your buried treasures for August? I'd love to know. Also if you're doing this as well please let me know so I can follow along.

XOXO
Serein

P.S.
I mentioned this in my July Favorites Video, but I got the idea from Casey Holmes from ItsBl0ndie & Estee from EssieButton. They both have done versions of this type of series. 

No comments: