Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Many Phases of My Style and Life


Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about the friendships that I’ve had in my life.  It seems that there is a correlation between my wardrobe and my friendships. Much of my wardrobe and style choices seem to come from whom my friends are at the time, and what stage of life I am in.

For example, when I was in middle school, my surfer girl wardrobe phase emerged as a result of my need to fit in with my surroundings and what was popular at the time. All my friends were wearing Roxy, Billabong, and Volcom.

In college, I didn’t really know who I was anymore and wasn’t sure where I belonged.  I came from this neat little bubble that wasn’t there anymore. I started to get confused, depressed and angry. I didn’t really feel like fitting in anymore, but I needed to express myself. I wasn’t secure enough to find my own style, so I followed the punk rockers of OC and had, my punk rock phase. I wore lots of black nail polish and dark eyeliner. Even a few of my old high school friends were with me on the punk rock girl stage. It was fun but, somehow this stage just didn’t seem to fit with my obsession of designers and trends that I always loved and watched for. As I was able to express myself through my clothes, I was starting to develop my sense of self.

Now, as an adult, I’ve become more self- aware and confident. The clothes I choose are things that make me feel happy, comfortable, and myself. I’m not afraid of not fitting in or what people think about me anymore. I’m confident in my choices and what I wear. People in my life that have been there for me for years are the ones who always saw the real me, even before I knew who I was. They saw the good in me and valued it. The friends that accept me as is and love me for who I am, are the ones that will last a long time, just like my favorite pair of jeans that go with everything. Because of these friends and their support, I have been able to develop and express who I am.


No comments: