Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Dating and Shoes


“Momma always says there's an awful lot you could tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going. Where they've been.” – Forest Gump

That Forest was a real smart man. I like to live my life a little by this quote. There’s a lot of truth to it. You might say that I’m judging a book by its cover, but honestly, most of us do So why not put our best “shoe” forward?

You really can tell a lot by someone’s shoes. My brother for example, is the last person to have any interest in fashion or style; but his shoes are always clean, neat, conservative, provide a function, and well cared for. His shoes fit him and whatever situation he’s in, weather it be work, play, or casual weekend. His shoes show a well rounded, responsible, grown man who has fun, can relax, but also knows what is appropriate in any given situation.

Looking back on some ex boyfriends, I realize I could have avoided a lot of heartache if I had just looked at their shoes. While I normally do notice people’s shoes, I don’t actually judge them and decide weather I’ll have a relationship with them, but it’s interesting to look back on it and see that you really can tell a lot about a guy by his shoes. For example, I believe every man should have at least 3 pairs of shoes. A dress shoe, a casual shoe, and a sneaker for working out. When a man only has one pair of shoes that he wears for everything, he doesn’t take too much stock in the other parts of his life. If the man doesn’t have a pair of shoes to be serious in, then he is a baby boy, who will never grow up and doesn’t invest much thought in his career. If the man has only dress shoes, then he doesn’t take the time to take care of his body or play.
It’s not just the shoes he wears, but how has he taken care of those shoes? Does he clean them? Does he replace them when they should be replaced? If he cannot even afford to replace a pair of shoes...RUN AWAY NOW! Are they all scuffed up and full of missing pieces? How long has he had them and do they look like they smell? How a man treats his shoes is probably how he treats many things in his life.

As women, we naturally take more pride in our shoes. Even women who hate shopping will have a thing for shoes. Men notice that. I can’t tell you how many times a straight man will compliment me on my shoes. For some reason men like women’s shoes and take notice to what you’re wearing. We definitely have more options and can show off a little more with our footwear. So next time your out on a first date, put your best foot forward by dressing them up to show your inner self and check out what the guy is wearing on his feet, because it could show you a lot about what your future with him will be like.

And just in case you were wondering, my man has 15 pairs of shoes, all well taken care of and for many occasions. My favorite on him are either his brown cowboy boots, or his no lace John Varvatos dress shoes. 

No comments: