Thursday, February 16, 2012

Purses are to Women as Balls are to Men


“I’m thinking balls are to men what purses are to women. It’s just a little bag, but we feel naked in public without it.” (Carrie from Sex in the City)

Like last week’s blog talking about what shoes say about a man (Dating and Shoes), I think handbags are to women as shoes are to men. I believe you can tell a lot about a woman by her handbag. To us, handbags are an everyday essential, even the non-handbag lady tells you something about her.  It says she’s fuss free and all about convenience with little thought to fashion.

Currently I am using a “small U Crossbody” bag in saddle by Dooney and Bourke, which I received as a Christmas present from my fiancĂ©. If I think about it, the handbag makes a lot of sense in terms of what I’m going through in my life. It’s a “crossbody”, so it’s convenient for me to get things done and leaves my arms free to shop, carry things, and explore. It’s smaller than what I normally carry. It only fits a wallet, phone, keys, Chap Stick, and maybe some mints. Kind of like my life currently, I don’t have time or room for excess baggage or drama so it keeps me to the bare essentials. The color is classic and goes with most of my wardrobe. It’s a great everyday bag and I get complements on it all the time. It’s a great quality at a very reasonable price considering I use this item everyday. Even when I get sick of it, I’ll store it in my collection of purses and bring it out again every once in a while.

My best friend uses a Dooney and Bourke saddlebag that belonged to her mother and it still looks great! Having a nice bag that shows your personality is worth the price. Maybe that’s why designers charge so much for them? When I’m feeling glamorous, I like to borrow one of my mom’s many Chanel purses. The classic quilted leather and the rich gold chain just makes me feel more dressed up, even with jeans and a t-shirt.

So while I love a good bargain and encourage you to save money and really buy quality over quantity, when it comes to handbags, I can’t stress enough how much you are showing the world who you are with your bag.  Your purse can be a statement piece to who you are as a woman. It’s also the only item that you really can wear/ use every single day of your life; and if you buy a high quality one, you can use it, store it, re-use it, and pass it on. I still have my first Louis Vutton from when I was 5 years old. It’s way too small and I can’t possibly ever use the thing, but it is so cute and I can’t wait to have my own daughter one day so that I can pass it on to her. So what does your bag say about you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.