Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Facebook Is Not a Form Of Communication

Here's a daily rant and personal pet peeve of mine...

Facebook while great for stalking your old classmates, co-workers, and sharing silly photos and quizzes, is not a form of actual dependable communication.

In the days of social media and wonderful life improving technology, we as a society have lost some personal contact with humanity.

I'm a big believer in traditions for special occasions and following some basic etiquette, especially for engagements, weddings, announcements, and major life changing events.
Our Engagement Shoot Photo By Scott Land Photography

For example: If you expect me to take time off work, buy a ticket, buy a present, and come to your wedding, where you or your family has spent considerable amounts of time and money on, I expect something more than an Evite, FB Event,  or E-mail. Don't get mad when you need to remind me to attend your supposed special event.

This also means that if I spent the time and money to pick out paper invitations and personally addressed each invitation and purchased the ridiculous over priced stamp from the post office and included a self addressed return envelope or an "RSVP to and by", I expect a damn response! RSVP is not optional!!!
My Sister Hosted our Engagement Party and did all the food.

As we become more comfortable behind a screen, we loose touch of common decency and consideration for each other and it's truly sad. I see it when I goto the store and I see it more and more on the road. It makes me want to move somewhere far away from everyone and really brings out my anxiety and depression.
Me somewhere far away
I admit I'm the first person to avoid chatting on the phone, I hate it, I rather you text me a place and time and I'll spend my whole day chatting with you in person. That's just me.

Now you might think I sound like a total hypocrite since I have a youtube channel and blog and most of my day is spent on social media of some sort. My argument is not against social media, I think social media is a great form of expression, sharing photos, sharing general life events, and a great business tool for promoting oneself or company. my argument is that if you expect me to be somewhere or to know your trying to get a hold of me, use the fucking phone or at least my e-mail!
Shameless self promotion, but go check out my youtube channel if you haven't already!
I've had many missed events and messages lately and folks are upset with me for not responding, attending, or knowing what is up, well being a blogger I spend so much time responding to comments, e-mail, and maintaining all forms of social media, that I'm not going to be able to maintain my personal life on there as well. In fact I resent it when expected to.
I make it to events when I know about them! Screening of Sleep Away Camp

So next time your throwing a party and I don't know about it or show up, instead of getting mad at me, maybe think about the way you invited people. If your event is truly that important for people to attend I'll give you a hint, Facebook Invite isn't the way to go.

xoxo
Serein

No comments: